Coronavirus: FAQs for Students
Find information about the impact of the Coronavirus/COVID-19 pandemic on Mason students. We also encourage you to review the information on our COVID-19 information page2020欧洲杯日程, and information on student success on the .
If you have symptoms such as a cough, difficulty breathing, fever, chills, muscle aches, headache, sore throat, or lost/decreased sense of taste or smell, call your local primary health care provider for guidance. Stay home, except to seek medical care.
2020欧洲杯日程If you have symptoms, call before going to a doctor's office or medical facility to allow health care workers to take precautions to reduce the spread of illness.
2020欧洲杯日程If your symptoms are escalating, such as progressive shortness of breath, don't wait for your regular doctor to return your email or phone call. Seek emergent care.
You may be asked to self-isolate or self-quarantine (stay home and avoid contact with others) and monitor your health. Most people who are mildly ill with COVID-19 are able to recover at home. .
2020欧洲杯日程For more information about COVID-19, visit the .
Students who have returned to their permanent residence should call their local primary care provider, who will determine the need for further evaluation.
2020欧洲杯日程Students living on campus or locally can call (703-993-2831), which has developed a triage phone and in-person screening process and has implemented protocols to:
- Help identify possible cases.
- Provide optimal care for those with symptoms.
- Protect the Mason community.
staff will work closely with Student Health Services to monitor suspected cases and to support the residential students’ community. If self-quarantine or isolation is necessary, we will make arrangements based on recommendations from health care providers or the local health department.
2020欧洲杯日程 allows students to order a sick meal on its website if they live in a residence hall and are ill, self-quarantining, or self-isolating.
Contact your professors to arrange accommodations for missing classes for a temporary time period if needed.
For more information about Mason's communicable disease response procedures, consult the (PDF).
Mason has set up (PDF).
2020欧洲杯日程These guidelines will tell you what to do if:
- You have mild symptoms.
- Your symptoms are more serious.
- You are awating test results.
- You have tested positive for COVID-19.
Academics and Remote Learning
Our plan calls for starting the fall semester on time and bringing students back for a mix of in-person instruction and expanded online classes, as well as the continuation of research. This hybrid approach will allow for appropriate social distancing on campus, while making alternatives available for those students who are not ready to return.
Based on what we know now, we believe conditions will allow us to start classes as scheduled on August 24. We are evaluating whether to complete the semester as scheduled, or end in-person classes before Thanksgiving and hold final exams online. We are aware the outlook can change, and if it does, we will remain nimble and adjust as needed.
Our Safe Return to Campus plan assumes that Governor Northam and public health officials will have determined by early August that general conditions in Northern Virginia will allow for a safe return, pursuant to the Governor’s phased approach to reopening Virginia’s economy.
The university will coordinate with local public health officials to ensure plans are in place for testing, contact tracing, and responding to potential outbreaks on campus, and space will be set aside in residence halls for students who need to quarantine or isolate. We will remain flexible and prepare to pivot back to fully remote and online options if public health and safety requires it.
Registration for the fall is open.
2020欧洲杯日程Mason's Office of Learning Services offers .
Some Volgenau professors also have some that applies to everyone.
2020欧洲杯日程Professor Melissa Broeckelman-Post, a professor in the Communications department, has recorded .
(CAPS) is offering on such topics as:
- Exam strategies.
- Survival skills for finals.
- Memory strategies.
2020欧洲杯日程Yes, unless you hear otherwise from your instructor.
2020欧洲杯日程As of now, you will have exams; they might move to a system such as , but they will occur.
For summer 2020, all classes will move to online delivery, shifting from the alternative virtual learning model to a more robust, intentional online experience.
2020欧洲杯日程Registration for Summer Term will now open on Wednesday, April 15, 2020, to allow for flexibility. Before June 30, all in-person summer programming—such as conferences and camps—will either be offered in an online, virtual environment, or canceled.
2020欧洲杯日程Further decisions will be made by May 31 about summer programming that could be offered in person after July 1.
2020欧洲杯日程Mason has waived the Distance Learning Fee on all courses being delivered online that normally would have been on campus.
2020欧洲杯日程This fee, $35 per credit hour, is usually charged for online courses and is used to provide the software, support, and technical assistance necessary to manage and assure a quality online education experience. Mason is able to cover the cost of these tools and services by repurposing a portion of the Mandatory Student Fee that would typically support services that will not be utilized, such as transportation or certain on-campus facilities.
Mason will not be adjusting any other student fees, including the mandatory student fee. This fee is essential to support ongoing student services and activities that continue in a virtual environment. It also pays for building maintenance and the staff needed for those services and activities. In order for us to be able to deliver these services and provide a safe learning environment when students return to campus, we must continue to charge the mandatory student fee.
Mason library facilities, including Fenwick, will be closed starting Monday, March 23. Library services will continue to operate, will expand virtual access as feasible, and will be available virtually to support faculty and students in accessing needed materials for online classes and assisting with other resources and services.
Mason Libraries has posted information about . The Health Sciences Librarian2020欧洲杯日程 is available for virtual library service, online consultations, and reference.
2020欧洲杯日程We have decided to postpone Commencement and our degree celebrations indefinitely.
We will hold a celebration for the Class of 2020 online at 2 p.m. on Friday, May 22 on .
2020欧洲杯日程We know this doesn’t replace commencement, but we also want to recognize our graduating students’ hard work and accomplishments. If you are earning your degree this spring we hope you will participate in this event.
The virtual celebration website will follows accessibility standards, and videos produced by the university will have closed captioning. If you are a student with a disability and need accommodations for this celebration, please email disability services.
2020欧洲杯日程You should have received an email from University Events with more information and details.
Mason's Faculty Senate approved an alternative grading mode for undergraduate students for spring 2020 classes.
- Students in A-F graded classes will be able to log into and on a class-by-class basis. Students do not have to select it for every class, they can pick and choose.
- If a student takes NO ACTION, the grading mode will default to A-F grading, as originally registered in the class.
- The interface to make grade mode selections will be available in early April and will remain open through the end of the semester.
- Undergraduates will have until the end of the term, which is currently May 20, 2020, to choose the Credit/Non-credit (COVID19) option for undergraduate courses (100-400 level) they are registered for in the Spring 2020 semester. Mason might extend this deadline if circumstances warrant..
- If an alternative grade mode is selected, none of those grades will count in the GPA.
- None of the classes graded with the alternative grade mode for spring 2020 count against the undergraduate academic policy of only 6 credits taken as
- There will not be a Dean’s List for Spring 2020 for undergraduates.
- There will be a transcript notation for Spring 2020 indicating the change in grade schemes.
2020欧洲杯日程The grades that will appear on the student’s transcript if the student selects the alternative grading mode for Spring 2020 classes are:
- XS (Extraordinary Circumstances – Satisfactory) – The student earns credit in the course by meeting a minimum grade threshold; at the undergraduate level that would be a C or higher, at the graduate level it would be a B- or higher.
- XP (Extraordinary Circumstances – Pass) – The student earns credit in the course but has not met a minimum grade threshold to apply the course to requirements with a minimum grade requirement; at the undergraduate level this would be a C- or D, at the graduate level it would be a C.
- XN (Extraordinary Circumstances – No Credit) – The student does not earn credit in the course.
Note: Eligible students will be able to change their grade mode soon. Look for communication from the .
2020欧洲杯日程Students enrolled in cohort sections or special programs will follow the decisions of their professional school or of the unit about which courses, if any, are eligible for the credit/non-credit option.
The Antonin Scalia Law School will separately determine the grading policies for its courses.
2020欧洲杯日程Graduate students can find detailed information on the page.
2020欧洲杯日程Additional details can be found on the page.
To ensure graduate students make the best selection for themselves and maximize their potential for long-term academic and professional success, we strongly encourage you to:
- Seek advice and guidance from your advisor, mentor and/or coordinator prior to making a decision about course grading.
- Determine the impact electing an alternative grading option may have on financial aid, licensure, admission to professional programs, scholarships, and fellowships, as well as anything else this option could affect.
2020欧洲杯日程The has granted universities flexibility to change the mode of instructional delivery for students in F-1 and J-1 status for a temporary period.
Saudi Arabian Cultural Mission (SACM) students should contact the SACM with questions regarding impacts to scholarships.
Find more information from the .
The Mason emergency assistance fund is presently closed, but will reopen for summer semester beginning Tuesday, May 26.
Housing and University Life
2020欧洲杯日程Decisions about housing are changing rapidly; Mason's goal is to house 4,500 total residents on-campus this fall.
2020欧洲杯日程For the most up-to-date information, visit the .
2020欧洲杯日程Only students who receive written approval from Housing and Residence Life may stay past March 25. Only students who have the following circumstances will be approved:
- International Students and students who cannot travel home due to a travel restriction.
- Student who works for university has been deemed critical (letter/verification required from supervisor)
- Academic department has deemed internship, clinical, or practicum that cannot be continued without physical presence (letter/verification required from supervisor/mentor for internship/clinical/practicum).
- Extreme personal circumstances (e.g. being in foster care system, no permanent home, home is quarantined, returning home poses a health/safety threat, unable to access online courses due to insufficient internet/electronic capability, etc.)
We have created a flexible move-out process that allows students two move-out options in an effort to accommodate varying needs. Beginning May 1, students will be able to login to the to select the option that works best for them. The deadline to select an option is June 1.
Option 1: Self-Service Move-Out (Students Pack and Move Their Belongings)
2020欧洲杯日程Log in to the to select a two-hour timeslot from June 10 to June 30 to remove your belongings and complete the move-out process. Only one student in a room/suite/apartment will be allowed to move-out at a time.
- Housing and Residence Life will not issue green bins for the move-out process. Students are encouraged to bring their own hand trucks and dollies to assist with the move-out process.
- Students are allowed to bring one guest to assist with the move-out process and are required to wear face coverings during the move out process. Face coverings will not be provided by HRL.
- Students are expected to remove all personal items and trash within their rooms. Housekeeping will deep clean all spaces after students complete move out.
- Should a student not be able to come and pick up their belongings in person, a proxy may be designated to pick up belongings. The proxy should also be provided with an inventory of the belongings to be packed. Students utilizing the proxy option will need to select a move-out time that falls between Monday-Friday.
Students who miss their appointment should contact Housing for assistance. It is not guaranteed that students will receive a new appointment time and may be required to participate in the full-service move out option.
Option 2: Full-Service Move-Out
- Housing will identify an approved moving company to pack up and store the belongings of students that are not able to or are not comfortable with returning to campus to finish the move out process.
- Students who select this option will have their belongings packed up and stored in a facility in Springfield, Virginia.
- Students will need to complete an online inventory of their belongings, both in their room and any common areas of the assigned space.
- Students will be responsible for covering the cost of this move. Estimates for moving expenses will be approximately $700 which includes packing, moving, and storage. Students are responsible for any fees associated with shipping or retrieving their items directly from the facility.
- Students will be responsible for contracting directly with the selected company by June 10 to have their belongings packed after all other students have moved out. If the student does not complete the contract with the moving company then the students’ belongings will be packed and moved for them by the selected moving company. Housing is not responsible for any damages or losses that may occur with the move.
- Should a student have their belongings returned to campus for move-in and not pick up their belongings, Housing and Residence Life will retain the student’s belongings at an additional storage cost of $300 for 120 days. If the belongings are not claimed within 120 days, then the items will be disposed of for the student.
If you do not pick an option
- Students who do not select an option by 5 p.m. June 1 will have their belongings packed and stored at their expense.
- The anticipated expense per student is $700 for packing and storing student’s belongings, but could be higher dependent upon how many students select the full-service move option.
- Housing and Residence Life is not responsible if any items are damaged or go missing during this process and as such, students who do not select an option are encouraged to work with their own insurance agency to obtain full value coverage for their belongings.
- Should a student not pick up their belongings when they have been returned to campus, Housing and Residence Life will retain the student’s belongings at an additional storage cost of $300 for 120 days.
I already moved out and took all of my personal items
- If you have already removed all of your personal belongings and do not need to utilize any of the options outlined above, complete the Express Check-Out Form in the by June 1.
- If you have already completed this form, no additional actions are needed.
- Students who may have moved out, but have not filled out the Express Check-Out form may be charged for belonging removal if items are not claimed prior to the moving company process.
- If a student has completely moved out but has not returned their hard keys to HRL, they should be mailed to the following address and include the student’s name and G# (Mason ID or copy of ID not necessary. Students will have until June 30 to return these keys before a charge will be issued to their student account.
Housing has also set up a. If you need more information about move-out options, contact Housing.
Should a student not be able to come and pick up their belongings in person, a proxy may be designated to make the pickup. The proxy should also be provided with an inventory of the belongings to be packed. Students utilizing the proxy option will need to select a move-out time from Monday through Friday.
If you have any questions, contact Housing.
2020欧洲杯日程Mason has the
2020欧洲杯日程Due to the number of colleges and universities that have had to close their residence halls early due to COVID-19, many national companies have created affordable options to help students access their classes electronically and relocate their belongings.
These offers include:
The UPS Store on campus offers safe storage services for students who will be going back home in light of the school changes that are taking place.
We are accepting summer storage items early to assist students in their time of need. We will store items safely now and have them ready for pick up in August.
The charge for this is $285.00, we are not charging more due to the need to put items in storage early. This standard cost covers 5 boxes to store, we provide tape and up to 5 - 18 by 18 by 16 boxes.
There is room for more than the standard 5 boxes; please contact us for pricing. Visit to sign up. For questions, call 703-865-5544, or email the UPS store.
Students will be able to access a form in beginning March 18 to request extended stay past March 25.
Although the university remains open, there will be a modified schedule in place for offices and access to certain services.
Student Health Services (SHS) is available to help students in the event they need medical assistance.
There will not be any student engagement opportunities available for the remainder of the semester, and students are discouraged from gathering in large groups on or off campus.
- Dining is open under modified hours, providing carry-out meals for those remaining on campus. has posted updated hours of operation.
- Mason Dining is directing meal plan service from the Pilot House. Hours of service will be:
- Monday to Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. with continuous service.
- Saturday and Sunday, 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. for brunch, 5 to 7 p.m. for dinner.
- Most retail dining establishments have now closed with the exceptions of the Starbucks Northern Neck (open from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.) and Wingzone (delivery via Starship from noon to 10 p.m.).
- One Stop will be open via Starship beginning March 30 from 5 to10 p.m. for those on campus. One Stop will continue to be assessable via Starship Monday through Friday from 5 to 10 p.m.
- All other on-campus other dining options are now closed.
2020欧洲杯日程The university is committed to refunding money to students for housing, dining and parking. The .
We also have . (PDF)
2020欧洲杯日程Housing and Residence Life is not able to accommodate students who do not currently live on campus.
Residential students who travel internationally or out of state must contact Housing and Residence Life at 703-993-2720 Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET, or via email to gain official written approval before returning to their residence hall so that quarantine accommodations can be made.
from across the university in one place to streamline your student experience during an unprecedented time, including important academic, logistic, and well-being information. Topics include:
Yes, we will continue to accept the $250 enrollment deposit paid through the . If you have any questions, please reach out to your Admissions Counselor2020欧洲杯日程 for assistance.
If your family has been financially affected by COVID-19, the Office of Financial Aid2020欧洲杯日程 has counselors who can talk with you about your situation to see how we can assist you.
Reach out to Mason's Financial Aid Office2020欧洲杯日程 Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET at 703-993-2353.
If you have not submitted a and have been financially affected by COVID-19, contact your Admissions Counselor for assistance.
Admissions is offering virtual information sessions, virtual tours, and virtual one-on-one meetings (by request). Visit Admissions to register for a session or to connect with a counselor. The virtual campus tour2020欧洲杯日程 is accessible online at any time.
Students will continue to date, and if you have already registered, you'll keep that date.
Some aspects of the virtual Student Orientation will still occur on the same day as the scheduled in-person program, while other content will be pre-recorded to view at your own pace.
2020欧洲杯日程We recognize the important role of families and will also offer a virtual Family Orientation at no charge. Guests who have already registered will be refunded.
More information about the Orientation process and next steps will be communicated via e-mail and on the .
Yes. Admissions will send decision notification letters to those awarded merit-based scholarships. We also encourage students to explore external scholarship opportunities. If you have questions about scholarships, reach out to your admissions counselor.
The time frame will be determined by the degree program or type. Generally, master’s programs decisions are posted in 4 to 6 weeks after the application deadline. Doctoral decisions are posted 1 to 2 months after the application deadline. For more information, email Mason's graduate program.
2020欧洲杯日程Mason sends regular decision application notifications to students on a rolling basis. Check your online portal to ensure that your application is complete and for any updates.
Once you've made an enrollment deposit, you can activate your Mason email. For more information, go to our Next Steps for Admitted Students page.
Send questions about Housing and Living Learning Communities for the next academic year to the Office of Housing and Residence Life. Please be patient, as there is a large volume of inquiries.
The will direct you to register for a summer session for your category (freshman, transfer, etc.)..
2020欧洲杯日程Effective March 17, University Mail Services is still receiving and distributing mail, operating under modified Summer operating procedures.
2020欧洲杯日程Mail Services will hold and forward packages for students as necessary.
Students that do not, or are unable to, return to campus may request to have their mail forwarded to their off-campus address during this time.
To arrange mail forwarding, contact University Mail Services. Package forwarding charges may be applied by postal carriers and will be the recipients’ responsibility.
2020欧洲杯日程 Mason has suspended all university-sponsored or university-related domestic and international travel for students, faculty and staff until further notice. This does not include travel to other campuses or within the DMV and the Commonwealth of Virginia.
2020欧洲杯日程The (GEO) will work directly with affected study-abroad students to provide information and address questions. The office is also working to refund program fees for committed students on all spring programs that are suspended. For group flights (purchased through GEO), all tickets were cancelled. You will receive the cost of the ticket in your refund.
Because of the U.S. Department of State Travel advisory elevation to level 4, it is not possible to run our summer abroad faculty-led programs this year.
2020欧洲杯日程Anything that requires formal approval via form should be initiated with your advisor via email. It is possible to accomplish all of these without coming to offices on campus
There are many implications for withdrawing from the university at this point in the semester.
2020欧洲杯日程Students should reach out to their academic advisor to discuss academic implications.
Several resources exist to assist with the process; learn more at the .
If you intend to return to Mason in a future semester, you should also submit a (PDF).
Yes. The is available for remote services. Face-to-face operations have been temporarily suspended. You may reach Student Services via e-mail2020欧洲杯日程 or contact us via .
Students who require services with enrollment, financial aid, student accounts, or the registrar’s office are asked to complete a or email the MSSC to receive service virtually.
A service member will follow up with each student via email to either provide an answer to the submitted inquiry or offer a virtual conferencing session to engage in further discussion.
The Office of Admissions has cancelled all on-campus recruitment events until further notice. Admissions is encouraging students to visit the virtual tour, and the team is actively working on video content and virtual options to continue to connect with students and families.
The Admissions Office has also extended the National Candidates Reply date for freshmen from May 1 to June 1.